New York, NY (PRWEB) April 29, 2009 — Parents magazine is offering photography tips to hopeful moms and dads who are entering pictures of their chidren in the annual Parents.com cutest baby photo contest. The editors of Parents are holding the amateur photography contest to find the cutest pictures of babies 3-24 months old and pictures of kids 2-6 years old. Two winners will appear on special dual covers for the magazine’s November 2009 issue.
Parents magazine cover kid photo contest
Sharon Elcock, Sittings Editor at Parents, shared 10 photography tips for moms and dads entering pictures of children in this year’s cutest baby photo contest:
1. Take photos with a really simple, but pretty background. You can keep the dirty dishes in your kitchen sink a secret! Instead, go for natural scenery in front of lush greenery or pretty flowers.
2. Pictures with food on the face are cute for Grandma’s refrigerator – but not so much for the judges.
3. Try to capture your child in a care-free, happy moment. Photos that are too posed usually don’t show your child’s true energy and personality.
4. Try not to submit extreme close-ups please! It makes it hard to see the whole child.
5. Be honest with yourself about your child’s temperament. Does he truly enjoy taking pictures or does he burst into tears the moment you point the camera at him? If he doesn’t enjoy posing, get shots while he’s engaged in an activity.
6. Avoid taking photos of your child with hats on, or with a towel draped over their head – we’d prefer to see the kid hiding under the towel!
7. Try taking pictures using interesting, fun angles.
8. We like happy photos! Leave the cranky faces for family members.
9. Have your camera ready at all times so you don’t miss the money shot!
10. Take tons of pictures! Don’t edit yourself as you go along, Professionals take hundreds of pictures to get the keeper!Elcock says, “I’m really impressed with all the pictures so far! But I’m even more blown away by all the cute kids. I’m so excited to find out who the winners will be!”