Have you tried Canvas Photo Printing ?
This week I’m eventually getting around to enlarging and framing my daughter’s first year pictures. Well, I was going to get some of them framed but the cost of getting large format frames has been putting me off. So for a lot of pictures I’ve opted instead for getting canvas prints from photos from the past year of her life. The funny thing is this is actually working out really inexpensive!
Canvas Photo Printing
Many people don’t realize that you can get canvas prints from photos that you already have on your hard drive. Thanks to wonderful digital printing technology , these personalized piece of art can be yours with a few clicks of the mouse. For my prints I’ve opted to use Canvas People . I’m always cautious about getting prints made online – I guess it comes from my background in printing and extremely high standards! Canvas People are actually giving away a free Canvas print this month so it’s a great way to try out their quality with no risk.
Advantages of Canvas Prints
One of the best things about canvas prints from photos is that you can go really big with your picture without having to worry about having to buy and hang a big expensive frame. Canvases are so lightweight that can be hung on virtually any wall.
Pieces of Art
The canvas wraps around the frame, (sometimes known as a gallery wrap) and gives a wonderful professional finish. They have a look of an oil painting and also have a special protective coating to protect from dust and dirt.
Unique and personalized
Canvas prints make wonderful unique and personalized gifts for those hard to buy for people in your life.
Tips for Canvas Photo Printing
- I think that canvas photo printing works best for extreme close up shots of kids (think big blue eyes popping off the canvas) and landscape or travel photos. These types of pictures really lend themselves to this format.
- Make sure your colors are vibrant and rich. In my experience, Canvas prints tend to make colors look a little less vibrant, so it’s important that your pictures not washed out to begin with.
- Make sure you upload a high resolution shot. Going big means you’ll need lots of pixels so make sure your saving your image in the highest quality
- Crop carefully – as the canvas will wrap around the frame, make sure that you allow for this when uploading your image. The software that Canvas People use gives you a great visual on where your image will go around the edges.
- When your enlarging pictures for display on your wall remember that you probably need to get them enlarged bigger than you think you need to. This is especially true for Canvas Prints because you wont have the added size of a mat and a frame molding in your finished product.
- Make groups or themes of prints that go together. Putting together a triptych (3 pics of the same subject) or several picts of the same theme is a great way of displaying your pictures and canvas prints are an idea way to showcase this kind of work.
- Consider using Black and White/ Sepia for a different feel for your Canvas Prints. Use a software program such as Photoshop Elements to achieve this look.
I hope I’ve inspired you to try out some Canvas Prints from photos that you have sitting on your hard drive. Why not check out Canvas People for yourself and get a free canvas print of your own to get you started!
The eternal quest for the best Digital SLR Camera Bag
So I’ve got the diaperbag, I’ve got the laptop, I’ve got my purse and I’ve got my Digital SLR camera bag. How on earth am I going to get all of this plus my 18 month old on a transatlantic flight to Ireland this summer? Well, careful packing will get me so far but the ever changing regulations on baggage allowance are so tight I’ve decided that I’m treating myself to a new digital SLR camera bag from Crumpler.
I’m going all out and going to splurge on the 8 Million Dollar Home bag which has room for a full size Digital SLR, big zoom lens, my laptop and loads more extra space. I love the Crumpler range of camera bags mainly because they don’t look like a camera bag! They have a whole variety of shapes and sizes so there’s bound to be one in there to fit your requirements not to mention style.
As the name suggests, the 8 million dollar home does not come cheap but when you’ve spent serious money on your gear it’s worth spending a little extra on a good quality bag to haul it around in.
Plus these bags are really comfortable to wear and if you’ve ever used a bag that’s not comfortable you’ll know what a pain it is – Frustrating and can sometimes put you off taking your camera with you. Not Good!
The same can also be said if your DSLR camera bag is difficult to access, to close or just doesn’t have enough room from everything. These bags have heaps of space and lots of dividers inside so you can customize the interior to suit your needs. The outside is made of a water resistant Nylon which will be great in the lovely Irish weather!
It looks like I will meet the handluggage requirements on my flight after all as my new Crumpler digital SLR Camera bag even has room for a few diapers and a sippy cup!
PS You can find the complete range of Crumpler Cags here . They have every size, shape and almost every color!
Check out Digital Frame HQ
So you’ve figured out how to use your camera. You know how to make your pictures pretty using Photoshop. Now what do you do with all your photos? Share them of course! And where best to share your pictures then in your living room using one of the latest Digital Frames? I’ve recently discovered a wonderful resource for buying digital frames - www.digitalframehq.com It really has a wonderful selection of frames at every price point from all the big manufacturers such as Sony, Kodak and Hewlett Packard.
The website is so easy to use – you can choose your frame based on size, brand or price. You can check out a really great image of the product your interested in too.
And one of my favorite things about Digital Frame HQ is their Learning Center which is a section of their website devoted to explaining all about their products and how best to use them. You can find out how to get your images onto your frame, wireless frames and how to set up your frame. Pretty cool stuff!
So don’t forget to check Digital Frame HQ here and do your pictures justice and frame those bad boys in a digital frame!